Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Names of God

My God has a name which cleanses me deep down within.
It sets me apart for holiness having washed away my sin.
I love this name Jehovah M'Kaddesh, The Lord My Sanctifier.
This work can not be done by me it's by the Spirit's fire.

The Lord my God sent Jesus His Son, to be my righteousness,
He chooses to turn my life around when the pieces are in a mess.
The Lord has a name, Jehovah Tsidkenu, which brings a smile upon my face,
It means the Lord, my righteousness; yes this is a work of grace.


The Lord is my protection He employs His watchful eye
To notice when I am being pursued, and when the devil starts to lie.
He fights my cause, and provides for me in all my deepest needs,
Jehovah Nissi – The Lord my banner, He watches over me.


Because the Lord is my Shepherd, I have everything I need.
He knows my heart so intimately, I can trust in Him to lead.
This truth is fulfilled in Jesus Christ, He is Jehovah Rohi.
He teaches and guides and fills me with joy, my Shepherd He'll always be.


God provided for the Israelites but they quickly forgot the blesser.
To Abraham He gave a ram, an advocate in Esther.
The manna never failed to arrive, God proved He’s a faithful provider.
And today He gives us grace through Jesus. Thank you Jehovah Jireh.


My God is a God with power to heal, so why do we still have to suffer?
The stories of Jesus give a glimpse of Heaven. That was His purpose and none other.
We can trust that throughout eternity He’ll wipe every tear away.
Salvation’s the healing, and fullness of life, That’s my Jehovah Rophe.


Jehovah Shammah. Our God is present, The Bible characters knew it,
Moses, The Israelites, Joseph, Jacob, but how can we understand it?
The Lord is here, yet the Lord is there, His presence is with us still,
But do we turn from his grace and hide our face, or allow our hearts to be filled?

To be at peace means more than solitude, more than quietness.
It's the state of inner grace we find when our answer to God is 'Yes'.
We are vessels that are built for Him, which He'll fill if we don't retreat,
Jehovah Shalom, the Lord is my peace, perfect, full, complete.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This poem is going to be updated each week as we focus each Sunday evening on the names of God. I want to write a verse to describe each name based on what we hear in the sermons.

Anonymous said...

Fantastically creative way to engage with God in all his facets. Look forward to seeing the remaining verses

Richard B

Anonymous said...

Hey K
Took your advice and checked out ur poems - really like this. Mite print it out and reflect on it during a quiet moment.
Thanks!

Amy

Glyn Harries said...

This is really good. And clever. I like it.

Unknown said...

The series, and therefore the poem are complete. I just noticed that complete is also the last word of the poem! How appropriate!

Man! Its like the end of an era!

Hope its useful.

Dawn said...

Cool. Perect. Thank you for sharing it.